Have you wondered what jobs can you get with a PhD. You can:
- Become a Professor.
- Become a Lecturer.
- Become an Education Administrator.
- Become a Principal of a College.
- Post Doctoral Opportunities.
- Be a Scientist.
- Chief Editor.
- Tutor and Proof Reader.
- NASA opportunities.
TYPES OF JOBS AVAILABLE FOR A PhD. HOLDER
A journey to achieving a doctor of philosophy is long. It will take you a minimum of 8-9 years from the moment you enroll for undergraduate. Now that you have it, you have the title Dr. so and so. What next?
Some people study for leisure while others will study for reward. Some people will study hard to get a good job while others study because the company requires them to do so. Unfortunately, some doctors of philosophy end up without getting the right jobs as the normally overrated by many institutions or there is no job that can suit their academic levels.
Some opt to work on the academic line while others will choose to work on the non-academic line, yet others will work out to becoming professors.
Academically, Ph.D. holders are from two major fields. Those from humanities and those science, engineering, mathematics, and technology (STEM). In each case, you end up at a specific workplace that best suits you. The following are some of the jobs a Ph.D. holder can do.
A Lecturer is a teacher who specializes in academic and vocational subjects to teach undergraduate and postgraduate students in the higher education level i.e. universities and higher education colleges.
Their mode of delivery is through lecturing students, organizing seminars, providing tutorials and organizing practical demonstrations to students, which earned them the name lecturers and not a teacher. As a Lecturer, you teach a profession/career objectives on various fields to your students.
This is what prepares them to get qualified to receive a certain qualification in their chosen field of profession. With a PhD. within a given profession, you qualify to be a lecturer on a full-time basis in any institution.
Apart from the academic qualifications, the following are key requirements as a good lecturer that is critical to have.
- Verbal and written communication. You should be able to communicate with your students both verbally and in writing. This will allow the students to understand you even when the subject is complex.
- Creativity. It is the role of a lecturer to keep students engaged. This can be achieved through interactive PowerPoint presentations with videos
- Confidence and Patience and Control. One of the features of students is that they are young adults and teaching them requires perseverance. You have to know how to control them not letting them distract you from delivering your content.
As a lecturer, you have the following responsibilities.
- Providing lectures, seminars & practical demonstrations. The core duty of a lecture is to teach. You need to explain whatever you teach and ensure they understand through demonstrations if necessary.
- Formulating for classes. As a lecturer you have to spend time creating lecture and seminar plans, getting resources together, creating activities for the students. This responsibility, need to be a priority on a regular basis.
- Employing new ways of training. You need to find new ways to teach theories and tasks to the students. This helps you see which way they manage to learn the fastest, a way that can be applied to tough units.
- Assessing work – Work evaluation is a responsibility which will have to be done. It takes longer to asses.
- Setting, organizing and marking examinations. You need to make sure you set up exams for students for practice.
There are three levels of a lecturer with different payment as follows.
- Entry level lecturer. This for an individual who has completed masters and still working on the Ph.D. Basic salary should be about $33,000.
- Lecturer. This is a Ph.D. holder. The higher responsibility that entry level. You take charge of bigger classes. Basic salary should be $40,000.
iii. Senior Lecturer. Has responsibility higher that lecturer such as marking examination of students he hasn’t taught. Basic salary is $55,000.
Do you have the Ph.D. already? This is one of the best duties you will enjoy doing. Just apply from any institute of higher learning and you will be considered.
Higher education administrator
A higher education institution is required for proper management and coordination. One of the people who achieve this is the higher education administrator.
Working as an administrator, you are required to be able to administer, support systems and undertakings that keep an education organization run efficiently.
Your working areas are admissions, quality assurance, data management, and examinations or in a specialist department such as finance, careers, marketing or human resources. There following are the responsibilities of higher education administrator.
- Using information systems and prepare reports and statistics for both internal and external use
- Participation in the development of future information systems
- Contribution to policy and planning
- Management of budgets and ensure financial systems are followed
- Purchasing goods and equipment, and process invoices
- Supervision of other administrative staff
- Ensuring effective communication between the institution and other institutions such as external agencies, government departments, and prospective students is coordinated.
- Organizing and facilitating a variety of educational or social activities.
What is the pay for the higher education administrator? In general, you can expect a starting salary of around £17,000 to £26,000. However, with experience, you could earn between £27,000 and £40,000. At the managerial level, you may reach a salary of £50,000.
The working hours for this kind of job are generally 9 am to 5 pm. However, the student faces some challenges which could need your attention during the weekend. You also may work for overtime sometimes mostly during examination periods and during enrollment.
This is one of the nice jobs you can also consider when you are a PhD. holder.
Is this job luring given that it involves matters of finances? Let’s first find out what it means to be a financial analyst. It requires that you be a smart guy for you to be a financial analyst.
These are people who carry research on macroeconomic and the prevailing macroeconomic conditions which are fundamental in making recommendations for the business sector and industry. A financial analyst recommends decisions such as purchase and sells off the company’s stock after evaluating the overall strength that the company has at the moment and the future.
You should be aware of current developments in your specialist fields and be involved in preparing financial models to predict future economic conditions, and making those all-important recommendations and conclusions.
Financial analysts are mostly used by insurance companies and investment banks and many other money-management institutions.
This is a private profession that will grow depending on your proficiency in service delivery. The more you successfully work from one company to the other, the more you increase your reputation, raising your pay and value. You pay will range from £22k rising to £60k for someone with more than four years of good experience.
You can be a consultant financial analysts and be employed on day rates of £300 upwards per day.
Government policy advisor
Do this work sound dull? If you think so, you are wrong. This work deals with accessing all the details of a field, analysis of data, and advising policymakers. You need both analytical and communication skills to work in this field. As a financial analyst, a policy advisor can work both at the public and private sector.
As a Policy worker, you operate in advisory roles and you are concerned with the administrative rules and doctrines of government. Your main role is to review, develop and implement policies and strategies for your assigned area. This work is mainly office based with attendance of a series of meetings and conferences. As a policy adviser, you end up associating with high profile people such as MPs, for benchmarking.
The responsibilities vary from department to the other. However, the following are the common roles you will encounter.
- To Work together with the team to identify and develop key policy areas
- To assemble, interpret and analyze information
- Brief partners and other external organizations
- Providing regular updates
- Working effectively with other stakeholders
The pay is usually between £25,000- £40,000 and above per year, conditional to your experience. Higher rates are generally offered in the London region. For you qualify you to need skills in; politics, economic research, public administration, social work, social policy.
The role of management consultants is to help groups solve concerns, create value, take full advantage of growth and advance business performance. The researcher will employ their business abilities to provide impartial advice and proficiency. They also help an organization to grow any kind of skill for the specialist. Your major responsibility is to recognize decisions for the organization and endorse recommendations for modification, in addition to guiding on extra capitals to device results.
Depending on your expertise, the main category of work you may involve is; business strategy, financial coupling with control of management.
The following are the responsibilities of a responsible management consultant.
- Carrying out study and statistics assemblage to comprehend the performance of the organization
- conduct analysis
- To dialog the client’s workers, the management team at large not living out other stakeholders
- To create and manage focus groups by facilitating the workshops run.
- formulation of the proposals for the business and presentations
- recognize matters and form theories and solutions
- To provide the clients with the findings from the research and come up with the necessary recommendations.
- Provide the necessary recommendations and solutions to the clients and provide a proper way in which the client can implement the recommendations
- To carry out and facilitate the project management and coming up with the necessary programs.
- leading your team members such as analysts.
What is the pay working as a management consultant?
The Junior consultants have a starting salary that has a maximum range of £30,000 and a minimum range of £ 25000 when working for large firms. Smaller consultancies services have lower salaries and pay levels since. These earning levels vary and depend on the type of consultation, the location where the consultation takes place and size of the consultancy provide to your clients.
Your maximum pay is £50,000 depending on your experience. You may even pocket £125,000 for a senior consultant. There are some allowances such as car allowance, health insurance, life insurance, childcare voucher.
The working hours may vary depending on the intensity of the work. On normal working days, your working hours are 9 a.m to 5 p.m
Competitive intelligence analyst
Competitive intelligence analysts combine research and analytical skills in order to help project the future actions of competitors and determine how to gain or maintain dominance in their industry. They are responsible for effective decision making within their companies about future actions. They achieve this through gathering appropriate data in determining the possible path of decision that others will take. A competitive intelligence analyst working for a company that provides network television to customers will investigate potential business strategies of the competitors. They determine the possible way their company can develop in order to enlarge their marketplace portion and offer more necessary services than their opponents.
Medical communication specialist
One of the places a PhD holder can find job opportunity is the health sector by being a medical communication specialist. The roles of health communication specialist are;
- Marketing. You have to come up with a viable plan that when implemented it will foresee the evaluation of the market and outreach the necessary efforts of achieving the proposed program
- Program development. After designing the program that is likely to influence the public health sector on political, medical and media fields, you need to foresee its implementation so that you can determine the impact of its outcome and prove its return on investment.
Working as a communication specialist gives you a wide range of opportunities both in governmental and nongovernmental organizations. Journalism is a mostly applied qualification. This is also a well-paying field that should not be assumed.
Operation research analyst
Advanced mathematical technical and analytical methods are of the operations that research analyst does use to assist the organization to solve problems and make informed decisions. The following are the duties of an operational research analyst.
Operations research analysts need to be able to gather information, which includes interviewing people and listening carefully to the answers. They also need to
- Detect and describe business hitches, such as those in production, logistics, or sales
- Collecting and establishing information from a wide range of sources which includes computer databases
- Gathering information from employees can also help solve the problem. The information should be gathered from employees who have specialized knowledge of the problem you are researching on.
- Examine information. This is very critical in figuring out which information is relevant in providing the solution to the problem and the proposed analytical methods that can be used
- Analyze the information that you have gathered using statistical analysis techniques or simulation techniques so as to come up with practical solutions on the problem.
- Provide necessary and critical suggestions to the manager and any other decision maker regarding the state of the impact of the necessary actions they are likely to take in order to address the problem at hand.
- Outline your findings and provide the necessary recommendations for the managers and executives through the reports or any other documentation such as memos.
The research analysts on operations are responsible in helping managers to make affirmative decisions on how resource allocation should be conducted, they also have to develop schedules for production and manage the supply chain as they set the prices.
As a good analyst, the problem at hand should be identified and the processes required to provide the solution should be clearly outlined. The relevant data should be collected from the field by interviewing the customers and managers who are key sackers in the business. They use computer programs to accomplish their tasks. The research analysts on operations are mostly office-oriented which others may be field oriented gathering information.
The basic qualifications are a bachelor degree and master degree. This show that as a PhD. holder you handle such job efficiently.
The specific qualities are;
You should be able to use methods such as forecasting coupled with data mining, and statistical analysis when performing a close examination of the problem and interpretation of the data.
Critical-thinking technique and skills
For you to figure out on which information is relevant to the work then you need to have a comprehensive technical skill. This skill is essential in the evaluation of costs so as to come up with the necessary benefits before coming up with the appropriate recommendation.
Other specific skills are; ingenuity, math skills, problem-solving skills, writing skill
System application engineer
One of a good job for an engineer PhD. holder is the system application engineer. Your role is to build on long-running system level applications, real-time interactive graphics, and latency-critical input event sub-systems to support the application framework that will allow developers to create the next generation of experience-rich, performance and secure applications
Investment bankers come in handy to assist their customers when it comes to acquiring capital in terms of money by giving out loans or sale of equity from the listed companies. The other responsible duties involve providing assistance to clients who have mergers concerns and acquisitions i.e(M&As) and to advise them on unique investment opportunities such as derivatives.
Though Investment bankers make big paychecks, it is far from easy money. As an investment banker, you have a major duty in raising money for clients. This is achieved by issuing debt and selling equity in the company.
The average starting base salary for an investment banker is currently between $75,000 and $96,000 per year. For the first year, $140,000 is commonly regarded as a good total income goal for an investment banker
Other jobs you can acquire with the doctor of philosophy include; patent lawyer, teacher of literature, software analysts
Tips to overcome common challenges when conducting doctoral researches.
One of the ways to achieve your goals is thinking positively. When you share with most researchers they will testify the challenges they have undergone before making it .the following are some of the challenges faced in an achieving the dream of Ph.D.
- Lack of aspiration to motivate you while pursuing the doctorate research.
You will likely give up when you imagine the duration to be taken for achieving a Ph.D. A doctorate is a long-term project that without motivation you can’t dip yourself up to the peak of success. To overcome this, you have to set short-term goals which involve coming up with the short-term task and look forward towards accomplishing them. It’s also good to give yourself regular rewards after you have accomplished the short-term goals. The regular rewards should be awarded in terms of what motivates you. Every reward should always be given only after your tracked milestone has been achieved
Inability to build your self-confidence
You may fail to achieve your dreams because of lack of self-belief. You can boost this through;
- Acquiring positive feedback on an assignment that you have done from your supervisors.
- Having the enthusiasm for acknowledging every milestone that you have achieved
iii. Analyzing your levels of competencies
- Trying out new techniques or approaches to handling your research projects.
In case you fail to outdo this weakness, you need to seek further advice.
Improper timekeeping and management
Spare enough time on the short-term goals and tasks that you undertake. Proper planning will always save your time. It’s also important that you do enumerate your approaches and come up with several techniques of approach in case you are not achieving your goals.
Stuck in your comfort zone
You need to go through extra miles doing different thing out of your ability. Being too cautious wishing your comfort won’t give you an opportunity to explore more opportunities. Comfort zone is always a limit factor to your success.
Overcome the Fear of failure or inability to take risks
When you need to overcome the fear of failure then the ultimate way to handle this is learning from the failures as compared to success.
Training to a researcher you need to be prepared for anything and it calls you to overcome the fear of failure. Take risks where possible cause your results are crucial from the findings that plunged you to take a lot of risks.
Have you ever thought of pursuing your wilder dreams that is full of passion in the academic field? If so, a PhD. is an academic investment that you need to consider. PhD. is the highest prestigious level of education one can dream of achieving.
Many people struggle, using all resources available to reach this level. It is believed that a PhD. holder is one of the wisest people you can achieve in life.
To be a PhD. holder, you need to go through several levels of education which include; a certificate, diploma, bachelor degree, master degree and then a PhD.
This is a long process that requires patience, focus, and concentration, mostly for one who starts up from a certificate. In some countries a learner will begin straight away from bachelors, then a master degree than to a PhD.
Before going further we need to define what a PhD. is, and the necessary steps that can make you acquire one? There are many people who know PhD. as a level of education but if asked what it means, they have no idea.
Someone who has achieved this academic qualification can use the title Dr. on his/her name and has a greater opportunity to practice professionally in a wide field. Philosophy is a word from ancient Greek which means love of wisdom.
Isn’t it so great to be called Dr. so and so? To become one, there are some basic steps that you need to undergo. Though the procedure may vary from one country to the other, there are major steps that are common in many countries. The following are the main steps you need to take.
- ACQUIRE YOUR UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE
An undergraduate degree is a foundation in acquiring your doctoral degree. You have to select a program for your undergraduate degree from an accredited university if you need the best start. The undergraduate degrees takes averagely about four years though some varies. Its length depends on the credits to be completed per semester.
- ACQUIRE YOUR MASTER’S DEGREE
After undergraduate, you need them to enroll to a master degree. Here you are required to focus on the field of study by providing it a professional practice approach and theoretic approach on the theoretical topics. Master’s degree requires a minimum of two years for it to be completed. This, however, will depend on the study field that you had selected. A degree program that is accelerated is advantageous as you may complete your studies. You have to specifically find an institution that will best suit you and that accept your qualifications before applications.
- COMPLETE A DOCTORATE DEGREE
By now you are well equipped with an undergraduate and a Master’s degree. How was the process? I believe you should now have gone through some challenges throughout your study life. You now have qualified for enrollment into the doctor of philosophy studies. Basically, it’s important for you to know the admission requirement and all programs offered by the institution before making the decision to join. There are some basic requirements you need to have before enrolling to Ph.D. These among others include;
- Your Holding records in academic. Most universities look for is academic records that are excellent whenever you are making your application for a Ph.D. scholarship. You need to have a Master’s which is the minimum academic qualification before enrolling for a Ph.D. program. In some countries, however, you can enroll for a Ph.D. directly after the bachelor degree. You have to check with the university you are enrolling on further information regarding requirement. Have academic transcripts in place that indicate your performance on the several units that you had enrolled.
- Certificates of foreign languages. If English is your foreign language then you must have proof that you are proficient in it. The common tests that you can undergo include IELTS or TOEFL.
- Recommendation letter. You need to have at least 3 recommendation letters from your academic advisors that you had worked with them previously, university tutors or supervisors from the previous research program you were undertaking.
- . Research Proposal. It’s in assessing the knowledge on the research topic, research methodology and you will undertake and research plan in your proposal.
- Motivation letter. This is a letter that indicates your objectives and the determination you have to work on the proposed project. You have to describe your qualities and interest that are critical to the success of your proposed project
- The entrance exam for your PhD. Some universities will take you through the Ph.D. entrance examination. GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is the test that you have to go through keeping in mind that its score plays a crucial role in your qualification.
- . Resume. Its required so as to assess your levels of education, research experience, your work experience etc. It needs to have the following information; the publications that you have made in academic journals, the prizes you have won, the honors you have received etc.
Does it take long to finalize your Ph.D. studies?
Well, the duration one takes before completion varies depending on many factors. Under normal circumstances, you need about 3 -4 years to complete the doctor of philosophy degree. This during applies if you concentrate well, avoid any kind of breaks and also when you work diligently. Also, this duration applies if you enroll on a fully loaded course. A part-timer learner will take more time.
Your job depends also on your skills. Some people do PhD just for the sake of doing. They do not strive hard to get knowledge. They want to satisfy their supervisor for a moment. These people may not get a good job. If they get they will not withstand longer times in the education industry.